Title : Plasmonic Au-ZnO heterojunctions
Plasmonic metal-semiconductor composite finds merit in the field of photocatalytic reactions because of the contribution from each component and to the multifaceted functionalities attained due to the synergistic intra-particle interactions at the interface of integrated components. Due to its spectacular structure-electronic properties, Au-ZnO are widely researched for the light induced pollutant degradation and hydrogen evolution under a variety of reaction conditions. The deposition of Au metallic islands induces the visible light response through surface plasmon resonance with concomitant enhancement in the charge carrier separation directly related to the heterojunction formation. In this presentation, choice of Au, preparative method, structural configuration of Au-ZnO, morphology induced reactivity, charge carrier dynamics, and mechanisms of photocatalytic reactions associated with Au-ZnO will be discussed. An overview of the Au deposition methods provides some insights into the pros and cons of the wide array of techniques used and also furnishes adequate information in designing the efficient heterostructure systems. Further progress achieved through utilization of functionalization concepts and by heterostructuring with metals, carbon materials and wide/narrow gap semiconductors will be emphasized. This presentation contributes for the modulation of multifunctional Au-ZnO heterostructure with their direct implications in energy-environment related fields.
Keywords: Plasmonic materials; Au-ZnO; Preparation methods; Charge carrier mechanisms
- Explain how the audience will be able to use what they learn?
- Response: As the presentation deals with Au-ZnO heterostructure, the participants can gain knowledge on the broader aspects of metal-semiconductor heterojunctions. The preparation methods, charge carrier mechanisms and degradation pathways will help them to fabricate efficient heterostructures.
- How will this help the audience in their job?
- Response: As I discuss pros and cons of several preparation methods related to Au-ZnO, the audience can choose wisely the preparation method for their probe reactions. This will help them to design efficient heterostructure systems.
- Is this research that other faculty could use to expand their research or teaching?
- Response: Certainly, Yes. The broader aspects covered for Au-ZnO can be extended to any other noble metals or metal oxide semiconductors.
- Does this provide a practical solution to a problem that could simplify or make a designer’s job more efficient?
- Response: Yes. As I highlight that even commercial ZnO can also be used for photocatalytic reactions, it solves most of the difficulties associated with the cost during the fabrication method.
- Will it improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem?
- Response: Yes. It provides newer dimension to fabricate heterostructure with distinct structure-optical-morphological properties.
- List all other benefits.
- Basic aspects of photocatalysis will be dealt which appeals to the researchers who are at the beginning stages.
- Diverse preparation method including their pros and cons will be presented which furnishes adequate information for the fabrication of Au-ZnO.
- Pollutant degradation pathways are dealt which helps to understand the charge carrier dynamics.